[Contribution] Korean food captivates global palates
简介By Chung Hwang-keunMinister of agriculture, food and rural affairsThe world has fallen deeply for Ko ...
By Chung Hwang-keun
Minister of agriculture, food and rural affairs
The world has fallen deeply for Korean food. Ram-don, an instant noodle dish featured in the movie Parasite, was sensationally popular in 2019, and more recently, a brand of frozen kimbap has been selling out within just one month of release at a major grocery store in the United States.
The craze for Korean food does not end there. A Korean restaurant in New York was ranked first among all the restaurants in the US listed in the World’s 50 Best Restaurants in 2022, and nine out of the 72 Michelin-starred restaurants in New York are Korean food restaurants.
The 2023 Overseas Hallyu Survey, which was conducted on local consumers in overseas countries, found that K-food was the most influential Hallyu brand, outranking K-pop and K-drama.
K-food's brand power has led to an increase in export volumes of Korean agri-food products. Amid a slowdown in international trade, where the World Trade Organization revised down the world trade growth forecast from 1.7 percent to 0.8 percent this year, the export volume of Korea’s agri-food products increased by 1.2 percent by October from the previous year.
This year's export volume is expected to reach a record high, surpassing last year’s $8.8 billion. This is a meaningful outcome that was made possible both by agri-food exporters’ efforts to expand their presence in the global market and by the government’s support in marketing strategies using Hallyu content and discovering various buyers.
K-food now has to go beyond being a temporary fad and settle in major global food markets including the US, the EU and Asia. Kimchi V freeze-dried kimchi blocks won an Innovation Award at SIAL Paris, an international food trade show, in 2022, and gained the attention of Europeans pursuing convenience as a food that can be cooked easily and conveniently.
The localization strategy of highlighting the appeal of K-food and tailoring the food to local consumers’ preferences has worked well in the global market. As part of the effort to localize K-food, the Ministry of Agriculture, Food and Rural Affairs plans to provide Korean agri-food exporters with information on consumption trends in the global market.
The government will also strengthen its support for food localization ranging from product development to branding.
In addition, the Ministry will make efforts to strengthen the global competitiveness of Korean food so that everyone in the world can enjoy not only K-food but also Korean food culture.
To this end, we will work harder to ensure that more Korean restaurants operating overseas gain Excellent Korean Restaurant certification, and play a representative role in promoting K-food to the world. We will also work together with top chefs at home and abroad to develop menus that may be loved by local consumers.
We also plan to enhance the international status of Korean food by hosting a prestigious international gastronomy event in Korea, and expand the consumer base of Korean food among tourists by linking K-food to Korean culture and tourism. Based on all of these plans, we will develop our Measures to Strengthen Global Competitiveness of the Korean Food Industry by the end of this year.
The literary scholar Umberto Eco said that the diversity of a people’s language and ethnicity is reflected in the food. K-food well represents the identity of Korea, and is full of diverse charm, ranging from young and energetic street food such as kimbap and tteokbokki to fine dining food with a taste drawing on a traditional culture thousands of years old. The K-food craze of the youth of the world is built on those charms. K-food will be on everyone’s table in the near future.
Chung Hwang-keun is South Korea's minister of agriculture, food and rural affairs. The views expressed in this column are his own. – Ed.
"12.12: The Day," a historical film depicting South Korea's military coup in 1979, surpassed 4 ...
김기현 국민의힘 대표(왼쪽)와 김태우 강서구청장 후보가 지난 8일 서울 강서구 남부골목시장에서 유세하고 있다. [뉴시스]“집권당 대표가 보증하는 김태우의 숙원! 화곡이 마곡이 되고 ...
Seoul shares closed lower Tuesday as investors remain cautious due to the Israel-Palestine conflict. ...
BM of Kard to return solo with single ‘Lowkey’ this month
Seoul shares open higher on US gains; Israel
'No Japan?' Korea swings from extreme rejection to selective embrace
Minho of SHINee to hold first solo fan concert in January
Human rights commission urges Korea to abolish death penalty
- Seoul shares open higher on US gains amid rate woes
- [Korean History] In 2008, Korea's National Treasure No. 1 went down in flames
- Remaining BTS members to head to military
- Leeum Museum ecological project starts Dec. 1 with Chanel Culture Fund
- 한동훈 “나는 스타장관 아니다, 여당 아닌 야당이 날 띄우는 것"
- 한동훈 “나는 스타장관 아니다, 여당 아닌 야당이 날 띄우는 것"
- [Herald Interview] ‘Digital paradigm shift to VR will happen 2026’
- Story of first female leader of traveling entertainers reimagined
- 이원욱 “이재명, 최강욱 징계 반발하는 개딸과 이별해야”
- German ambassador advocates 'de
- Seoul shares close nearly flat on US rate
- Star musicians add own touches to films as music directors
- SK chairman says agile responses needed in times of geopolitical strife
- Muaz Razaq on being Muslim in South Korea
- Seoul shares end nearly 2% lower amid Middle East woes
- SK gears up for largest
- [Korean History] 2003, when Korean cinema was at its finest
- 한기호 "제주해군기지는 盧의 결실"…여‧야 모두 박수 보냈다
- D.O. of EXO to leave SM
- Hyundai Motor, Kia ranked in mid range of global eco
- Registration opens for offshore firms' FX trading
- 북러 무기거래 현장 지목된 라진항…"컨테이너 더미 또 쌓였다"
- Galleries vexed by outdated ban on taking older artwork out of country
- Hanmi Global to host forum on data center construction
- 'Teenage Mercenary’ leads Korean webtoon sensation in Japan
- 尹 "참모들 앉아있지 말고 현장 가라…나도 민생 더 파고들 것"
- Geonwonneung to open for public viewing in fall
- [Herald Interview] Rising star conductor Klaus Makela to meet Korean audiences
- Fifty Fifty's Keena says outsourcing rep stoked bad blood with Attrakt, Fifty Fifty
- In a first, Le Sserafim collaborates with Overwatch for in