Music director, composer Jung Jae
简介Jung Jae-il, music director, composer and instrumentalist, admits that Korean traditional music -- g ...
Jung Jae-il, music director, composer and instrumentalist, admits that Korean traditional music -- gugak -- is not an easy genre.
"I was exposed to the genre at a young age thanks to my friends. Like all forms of art, contemporary music may seem unconventional or different at first, but as you develop an affection for it, you come to realize that there is a depth and richness that unfolds over time," Jung, 42, said during a press conference on Monday, adding that one might find the charm of gugak more easily at a live performance.
Jung's upcoming concerts at the Sejong Center for The Performing Arts in December might unintentionally offer such a chance to those who would not naturally gravitate toward gugak, as it will be one of the concert's three components.
Jung, whose music career spans 25 years and is known as an "artists' artist," is set to take the stage at the 3,022-seat Sejong Grand Theater on Dec. 15 and 16.
His three-part concert comprises a medley of South Korea's most popular film scores, such as those from “Parasite” (2019) and “Squid Game" (2021), which he created, his piano compositions and gugak-inspired works.
His iconic music works for films and drama series will be offered without video references to allow the audience to fully focus on the music itself. The "Squid Game" and "Parasite" medleys will each run for 20 minutes.
"I'm rearranging the music to show the four elements -- introduction, development, turn, and conclusion -- just with music so that people still can feel the drama in the music," he added.
The concert will provide Jung with the opportunity to present live performances of his album, "Listen," released earlier this year under the label Decca.
On Oct. 1, Jung took the stage with the London Symphony Orchestra at the Barbican Centre in London, performing at the K-Music Festival's 10th anniversary opening concert.
There, he showcased music not only from “Parasite” and “Squid Game” but also new compositions from “Listen" and two tracks from his new EP album, "A Prayer," on which he collaborated with traditional musicians.
In London, Jung said he felt the "strong power" of gugak.
"Even before the performance, other musicians couldn't take their eyes off of our traditional instrument players in the waiting room. The audience also cheered as if they felt something like, 'Wow, such music exists in the world,'" he recalled.
"I felt that our traditional music, such as 'pansori' and shamanic music, have a strong power."
For his gugak performance, Jung will collaborate with top gugak artists like gayageum player and composer Park Soon-a, daegeum player Lee A-ram, and percussion group Samulnori Newdot.
Jung's longtime partners will also take the stage, including The First, a string ensemble who has been working with Jung since 2002, and stage director Yeo Shin-dong.
A trilateral summit with Japan and China, which has been on hold since 2019, could take place early ...
K-pop girl group Le Sserafim is set to release its first English-language single next month, the ban ...
이기식 병무청장이 13일 서울 여의도 국회에서 열린 국방위원회 국정감사에서 의원들의 질의에 답변하고 있다. 뉴스1최근 막을 내린 2022 항저우 아시안게임에 출전해 병역 특혜를 받 ...
- S. Korea's English proficiency slips 13 notches to 49th
- KT & G to build new tobacco plant in Kazakhstan
- BOK wins lawsuit on face of Korea's 100 won coin
- Le Sserafim becomes house ambassadors for Louis Vuitton
- Labor unions slam government efforts to attract more foreign workers
- 혼전임신 직원에 "애비없는 애"…갑질 서기관 감싼 복지부 논란
- City becomes attractive when social minorities are empowered: Seoul mayor
- Culture minister says admission to state museums requires public discussion
- Top conglomerates to start executive reshuffles
- Top conglomerates to start executive reshuffles
- Will Blackpink renew contract as group?
- "최강욱 '설치는 암컷' 발언 뭔 잘못이냐"는 야권 여성인사
- 한동훈 “나는 스타장관 아니다, 여당 아닌 야당이 날 띄우는 것"
- Dreamcatcher returns as 'villains' with special power
- [From the Scene] Incheon Airport goes global to Batam, Indonesia
- Heritage expert You Hong
- [New on the Scene] Joo Jong
- CATL reduces gap with LG Energy Solution
- National Museum of the Annals of the Joseon Dynasty to open in Pyeongchang
- [Herald Review] 'Different, but in harmony'
- Han Kang wins prestigious French award for foreign literature
- STX to supply lithium with South American partners
- [From the Scene] 20
- Park Bom to return with new single ‘I’
- 신당 추진 이준석 ‘천아용인’과 회동…김용태 “작전 이해 간다”
- Jungkook's 'Golden' hits No. 2 on Billboard 200 with biggest
- 검사탄핵안 이어…야당, 이번엔 검사 좌표찍기
- KDI slashes 2024 growth to 2.2%
- 노조에 파업 손배 청구 힘들어져…재계, 노란봉투법 통과 강력 반발
- AI in your pocket: Samsung Galaxy S to feature real
- [Herald Interview] Kiss of Life continues to describe different aspects of freedom through music
- 송영길 "어린 건방진 놈" 한동훈 "운동권 했다고 우월한 척"
- Journey to Joseon scholars' timeless dwellings
- Samsung Electronics accounts for 84% of Q3 smartphone sales
- Stalking crimes could lead to up to 5 years in prison custody
- [Herald Interview] Korean 'changgeuk' meets Peking opera